Sunday 22 May 2016

I don't care, go on and tear me apart I don't care if you do, 'Cause in a sky, 'cause in a sky full of stars I think I saw you (A Sky Full of Stars - Coldplay)

I look up a great deal. Most people these days have their heads stuck in their phones, missing all that is going on around them. Not me, I look up! I do not understand the stars, but I am fascinated by them, watching of, just there all the time, looking over us.

As many of you know, I lost my heart to the stars of the Southern Hemisphere. I looked up and felt so small.  My friend Jackie bought me a star this year for Christmas. It is the Orion's Belt constellation and she chose this as it is near the red star, which, as I was told recently by Olivier is called Betelgeuse.  This itself is strange as both Meg and I just loved the film Beetlejuice.  Meg and I used to always say  'Love you to the moon and back', that is our thing. Until one day Meg said that she 'loved me to the red star and back' (she has always been a smart person) as that star was further away. So now I have a star named Megan near to Betelguese, the red star, on the shoulder of Orion which I saw upside down, when looking at the stars of the Southern Hemisphere. So When I want to see my Meg I just look up because I know she is up there somewhere shining down on me, even though just as in real life I cannot see her, she is alive and out there somewhere.  It is that simple. 

As always, enjoy. And yes, you did see a skateboard in the first 2 seconds of the video (sigh)!



Saturday:  Today I had an appointment at the Dental Hygienist.  She was lovely but whilst I was lying there being tortured and trying to put myself in a different place I started to think. Who would want to be a Dental Hygienist? I mean, really.  It cannot be the best job in the world can it. She was pulling at my mouth and I thought by the time she had finished I would look like a cross between Wallace and Cherie Blair! Then you have to pay for the pleasure of being drilled and scraped.  However, my teeth did look really lovely afterwards but it really is not an enjoyable experience.  I decided to go straight home.  I was going to grab a coffee but my teeth felt really fresh and clean and probably not thank me for a coffee and also I forgot to put my glasses in my bag so would not be able to sit and read my book.  So home it was. 

My Timehop yesterday sent me a message from my friend Steve who sadly
Dear Steve and my condom size guide!
died last year. It was a bitter sweet message as I remember him sending it like it was yesterday and not two years ago! He had messaged 'Oh not another fu*k£ng drongo gorgeous' and I smiled as I could just hear him say it.  He always called me gorgeous. I smiled and then cried. I miss him.


So tonight I am out with my Meet Up group. I am going through a phase of really having to try to make the effort.  I have to be out there. How am I going to ever meet people if I do not make the effort. But trust me, it does get tiring at times. So tonight I am off to Clapham. Easy for me to get to via the Underground, so I guess I better start to scrub up and make that effort.  I think it will have to be the red lipstick tonight.

Well. I had probably the best night out since I arrived in London (with people I do not know that is). The pubs were very busy at first because of the football. But I got talking to some really interesting new people and we discussed things such as travelling (of course), politics (always a good one),  where they come from which included the States, France, Germany, Canada, Wales, Finland and of course, the UK. I did feel a bit smug as I showed someone (even after quite a bit of larger) how to delete a file off his android phone. I shall call him Pat. Pat said he was not very technology minded and when I told him I blogged he confessed that he still and wrote a diary every day.  How cool is that!

We went to four pubs around the Clapham area and I have to confess, I have not been over to Clapham but it looks like a cool place.  The weather was good and for most of the evening we sat outside, just drinking and chatting away.  I did have to smile as in the last pub we went in there was a random woman dressed as a shark. I have no idea.  Only in London. I ended up getting the tube around midnight and did something I have not done for ages ............. I called in the chip shop next to our flat to get some chips.  When I was younger, you knew it was a good night out if you copped a snog and then had chips on the way home.  OK no snog tonight and that is fine, but because of the alcohol I had drunk it was time for a few chips.

I know the couple who run the chips shop next door to our flat.  The day I moved in I went downstairs to get some tea for Andy and I and me being me, started a conversation. So every time I pass by now they wave and smile at me. So l go into the shop and ask for a few chips and the guy says 'Oh have you been out? Where have you been? Have you been drinking? Did you have a good time?'.  There was nothing sinister about it but I did have to laugh as I thought to myself, here I am aged, well let's just say 29, and it's like trying to sneak home without your Mum and Dad finding out!

So home, make off (of course) and chips in bed watching The In-betweeners. I would say for someone who did not really want to go out, that was a very successful evening.

Sunday:  I had What's App Andy to say there was a good chance I would not make it to Hoxton and I was right.  I crawled out of my pit at 10.30am! Made a cup of tea and crawled back in bed again.  So I think today will be a day of paperwork and chilling.

Productive morning from my bed. Finally crawled out of it and showered and went for Sunday Lunch, with Andy, to our local. The Roebuck is a lovely pub and we are so lucky to have it just a five minute walk away. Obviously, I had to have a gin and tonic with my Sunday lunch.  The food here is wonderful and there is always a vegetarian option for Sunday lunch as well as plenty of choices for me on their main menu.  I had chick pea roast today with all the trimmings and Andy had the pork.  There is something quite English about going for Sunday lunch and it is something I could get really used to and I think going to the Roebuck will be happening more often as it is the kind of pub I would feel happy going to just on my own.

Back home, feet up as felt quite stuffed and we sat and watched Gosford Park. I have not seen that film for ages and it was the ideal film just to Sunday afternoon chill with.  And that is very much what I did all afternoon. Then decided, as I always do, that it was time to fly. I have had itchy feet for some time now and not in a good way. So the fact that I have contained myself to a few days is good as the alternative could have been forever!

The good thing about living in London is there are so many airports to choose from; giving you more choice. I think it was talking to people last night from all around the world that ignited the adventurous spirit in me again. So after looking at Copenhagen, which I must say looked very nice but the accommodation was not really available, I booked a flight to Barcelona.  I have always wanted to visit this city and it was on the bucket list of places to visit. I want to see the Gaudi architecture and artwork. Plus it will (hopefully) be warm and sunny. I have found a good place to stay, well hopefully and if it isn't I will make do as it is only for three nights. Just a single room, but that is all I need.  I do have a little Spanish friend at work who is mad and camp (of course he is that is why he is one of the few people who speak to me) as Butlin's so I will ask him for some advice as he recently went to Barcelona, but it should be a lovely little adventure.  So if any of you have been to Barcelona and can give me some tips or advice (yes I know about the pickpockets and I will be as vigilant there as I am in any City) or know of somewhere I really must see, please drop me a line and let me know.

Rounded off the lovely weekend with an episode of Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie and I just laughed and laughed. Followed by a sing-a-long to Big In The 8's Karaoke Hits on Classic MTV.

It has been a great weekend!

As always, with my love X






2 comments:

  1. Glad you're getting out and doing things again. Sometimes the way to pull yourself out of a hole is to be more 'proactive' and make yourself do things like that. Well that's what works for me anyway.:)
    I used to go to yoga upstairs at the Roebuck. Something like a wednesday morning though, so no good for you people with a real job.
    I think Barcelona is a great choice. It was the first trip I took after I came back to London. Very photogenic city, so you should be good there. I mostly remember the gaudi park (can't remember its real name but you'll see what I mean). Also remember doing a good 'free' walking tour (you just give a tip). There's a huge beach there too. I'm sure you'll love it; I'm quite envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah. Yes it is good to be out and about. In fact, I can only realise how ill I have been now that I am out and about and feeling so much better. I will look forward to Barcelona. I am sure I will figure it out and have a great time xx

    ReplyDelete