Sunday 15 May 2016

Oh, no, what's this? A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle. So I turned to run, the thought of all the stupid things I've done (Trouble - Coldplay)

Sometimes, well most of the time in my case, you can just find the right song, with the right words to sum out how you feel.  We all do stupid things. Some of us more than others. I guess I feel I am caught in a spider's web at the moment. I'm fighting to get out - but just can't get anywhere quick.  




Saturday:  Lazy start to the day. I was going to see an exhibition at the Natural History Museum (I was going with Olivier but that ain't going to be happening now) but then changed my plans.  I caught the bus and went over to Forest Hill, which is a suburb of South East London.  

Last year, when I was not working. My friend Kim who I worked with in Stafford told me about an artist she knew.  This woman was trying to raise the funds, through Crowdfunding to get to America to show her work. I made a donation, not much due to the fact I was not working, but it felt good to do so.  Since then I have regular emails from Liz telling me about the work she is achieving. So today I went to meet Liz and her partner whose name I cannot remember (I am so, so sorry) who is related to my friend Kim.  Dulwich was having their Arts Festival which happens in May. Events including theatre, film, walks, talks, art, music to name a few.  Liz was based at Havelock Road Studios which was an amazing, vibrant community of like minded souls.  I could live there.

So in Liz's words she is a Visual Artist who teaches visual arts, drama, movement to all ages.  Compulsive Skin Picking has dominated her life for more than 20 but through her art she has managed to confront the disorder to recovery.  How great is that. So she now aims to reduce the stigma around CSP and mental ill health through art and speaking about her story.  What an amazing woman. I was so happy to finally meet her and to see some of her amazing work. So take a look at her page on:


A lovely women which such talent. I am so pleased I finally got to meet her. I spent time looking at the other artists  and met a really lovely guy who was creating a sculpture. So talented.  I really wish I could be creative.

Walked into Forest Hill and grabbed a coffee and sat and chilled, writing up notes and watching the world go by. I then walked to the Horniman Museum which was just up the road.

The Horniman Museum was opened to the public in 1891 on the site of Fredrick Hormiman's original home which was a Victorian Villa. The museum was extended in 1911 (my favourite time in history) and an extension was designed by Charles Harrison Townsend in the arts and craft style.  A stunning building which really caught my eye.  I had a look around the museum but it was full of children but I managed to find an quiet place showing an exhibition of photographs taken in a Favela in Brazil. Beautiful, vibrant photographs but there had to be a skateboard in a couple of them - of course there did.  I then went out to the gardens and come across the most amazing view of this beautiful city that really has given me a life back.  It is not until you travel out of town a bit do you realise how central and how near I am to everything.  I really am very lucky.


Bus home and I got dinner ready as Andy was out but back in time for the Eurovision. We were doing two score cards one if we liked the act, song and stage and the other if we would well you can guess, or kill them or want to be friends with them. I am off to France!  It was a good evening and we had a good giggle. So all good.

Sunday: Up early this morning as I was working on a plan.  I cycled to meditation. Yes you did read that right.  I got a bike from the hub across the road from the flat and cycled to Finsbury Circus in the City and had a rest for ten minutes; then cycled on to Hoxton.  It was a beautiful day and the sun was shining. I loved it. I did struggle going over the bridge to the City but stuck with it and could have done it just in 30 minutes but was sensible and rested up.  Which was good really as I come across this artwork that I would never have seen on the bus.
I arrived at Trew Era Cafe and the staff were surprised to see me so early - until I explained to them the reason why. I then had a bowl of porridge for my breakfast (I am just a Hipster) and it was time for meditation. A lovely morning. I then cycled home again. In total around 7.2 miles. But me, riding a bike in Central London. I will do it again next week, unless it rains, as I really enjoyed it. Back to the flat and Andy was having friends over this afternoon but that was fine as I had paperwork to do. I resent having to do it, but it is a means to an end. So all done an dusted for a while.

So spent the rest of the afternoon/evening replying to friend's mails and text and catching up on 'stuff' as one does. It has been a good weekend. I am refusing to worry about Monday and Monday is here and focus on being in the moment.

As always, with my love x





2 comments:

  1. Oh the 'living in the moment' thing is so hard. I had so many jobs where I'd lose my whole Sunday because I was too busy worrying about Monday.
    But you see, how amazing is this? There is so much to do in London and I miss all that. And for free (or very little at least).
    Dulwich is a cool place to hang out when the weather is good; I haven't been there for (literally) years and years.
    Glad you're getting out and doing stuff again. The weather helps there though, I think. Now is your turn to make me envious with all the tales of London in the summer.
    Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah. I get what you are saying totally. I will not allow my Sunday to be ruined by Monday .... as difficult as it is. And yes, there is so much to do in London that costs very little if anything at all and that is what I am filling my time with .... out in the real world. I do not miss FB. I go on when I'm tagged in something but I really have not missed it. Yes, the weather does help and I am just trying to put myself in a good place so that I can cope better when I am in a rotten place. As always, my love xx

    ReplyDelete