Wednesday 24 February 2016

He said I was his friend, which came as some surprise, I spoke into his eyes (The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie)

Forget Lulu (for numerous reasons) Nirvana's was OK but Bowie's version of this is, in my opinion, outstanding. I am not a musician, far from it, but the guitar at the start of this track is great.  I am not going to bang on about it.  Just listen and as always, enjoy!

Monday:  The last week or so have been difficult.  Andy and I heard the words that everyone in London at the moment dreads to hear.  Rent increase.  Rent in London is very, very expensive.  For those of who you live in Stoke to give you an idea, I pay probably double what it would be to rent a terrace house in Stoke..... this is just my half!  I know our rent is low (well it is not but you get what I am saying) so to hear our Landlady say she will be increasing the rent this year has made us both very anxious.  I started to look around on Gumtree and I knew already that we should be paying at least £300 a month more for the size and location of our flat.  Also, our area is undergoing a great deal of regeneration at the moment so it was inevitable that prices would rise.  But the thought of both physically and emotionally having to move again sent me feeling very, very down. I have to feel secure and safe and I guess since 2011 that has not been the case. I love our little flat and the thought of having to find somewhere else to live that would include not only moving all my stuff but finding another doctor, library, shops and also moving into at least Zone 2 or 3 was an unbearable thought for both of us.

We had emailed our landlady a couple of times for some indication what the amount would be, bearing in mind that we would have to be moving by the start of April, which let's face it, is not a long way off.  She finally come back to us on Friday, just before I left for Belgium.  She is going to increase our rent by £8.50 each per month.  In London, trust me, that is absolutely nothing.  I was expecting us to have to find another £200 each per month by market prices.  To say Andy and I are over the moon is a slight understatement.  We are so, so happy that we can stay in our lovely home.  For us to buy something we would have to be earning between us well over £100,000 per annum!  We both work for charities. Even with a deposit (which could be provided) we have no chance whatsoever in ever buying anything. However, we seem to have a fair landlady and for that alone, I am most thankful. So I will sign another lease for another 12 months and will go without one Japanese meal a week (I only have one a month) to find the extra money lol.

9.00 to 5.00 done ........ thank goodness and a quiet night as I have a rotten headache ....... I really cannot think why!
Beautiful blue sky London

Tuesday: Beautiful blue sky morning in London and the sun is bouncing off the Shard.  I may have to wear sunglasses for my commute today!  Spring is teasing us at the moment, she is on her way but first we will have some more cold weather.  Dilemma today.  Many of you who know me, will, I hope, consider me as a generous person and I do try to be kind whenever possible.  However, there comes a time when I am pushed to the limit.  Today was that day. I was asked to contribute to something (financially) that would have been easier just to do but because I felt so strongly about it, I refused. Emails pinged to and from me and another and still I thought .... fuck it!  They are not worth it and I stood my ground.  I am just wondering what, if any, the repercussions will be.  I shall continue with a professional, working relationship .... but that is all!

Tonight I was at my little theatre just up the road, the Southwark Playhouse.  Oh I love this theatre and like I keep saying, I have never seen anything bad there.  Tonight was no exception.  The play was called Orphans and it was set in America and it was about two brothers, dragging each other up.  I cannot tell how brilliant this play was.  It was funny, sad, violent, moving and amazing. It was such a heartbreaking story about being left alone to cope in the world. On the way home I just stood on the main road by my flat looking up at the stars, it was such a clear evening.  Also, you could see Jupiter right next to the moon.  It was amazing.  Oh how I love looking at the stars.  It was a really good night out.
Old Street

Wednesday:  Two days training now ........ at least it is a change of office and it is also in one of my favourite places I would like to work .. Old Street.  Andy is working away tonight so I will have the flat to myself when I get home. Really good day at work today, I am really enjoying the training.  Back to the flat and I gave myself a lazy night, catching up on some TV I have missed and chilling out in my room. Ended up having a lovely chat to my dear friend Jackie in Staffordshire and then a lovely on line chat with my friend in New Zealand and watching the Brits.  Great tribute to David Bowie ........ I still cannot believe he his no longer with us.

Thursday:  I have really enjoyed the two day training and it was good to be back up Old Street.  After work I went to the Post Office and had to queue for 40 minutes! I was not impressed. Back home and Andy was already there. Today is his birthday. He is now the same age as me .... 29.  He has been working away so was exhausted so I cooked some pasta.  We had a catchup and a natter then we both went to our separate rooms at 20:30 as he was tired and you know what I am like being in my room.  So another quiet night but it is all good as I have a really busy few weeks coming up ...... so watch this space.

Friday: Well I slept like a baby.  Why do we say that? In my experience of having a baby, they do not sleep.  Far from it.  My daughter was always awake and made sure I knew about it!  But it is Friday! Busy and productive day at work; but I am on a one-woman mission.  Quiet night tonight.  I was going to go for a drink after work.  The sun was out and it was Friday night.  However, by the time I left work, the sun had gone in and it was rather cold and the whole thought of sitting outside the pub reading my book had kind of past. But all good.

Interesting turn of events this evening. News has reached me that someone has finally found their backbone or balls depending on your perspective. Interesting development, but hey I am happy and that is all that matters.

Tonight I remembered my favourite episode of Doctor Who.  I said to Andy I can do geek.  My favourite episode is the one when Doctor Who meets Vincent Van Gough.  It is brilliant.  They take Vincent to the Musee D'Orsay to see how successful he really was.  Bill Nighy is the curator and speaks so highly of Vincent Van Gough who is listening.  There is a song by Athlete called Chances that plays throughout. I remember the first time the episode was aired I sat there crying my eyes out whilst 'others' just looked on.  I have watched it again tonight and made Andy watch it, and yes, once again, I sat and sobbed. So here it is, get the hankies ready!



As always, with my love x

5 comments:

  1. You have a good deal with rent for that area you know, so it's good that you can work a way to stay. No rents are ridiculous. It's a pity you don't have another little bedroom there and you could put it on airbnb or something, make a bit of extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah! Yes I know we are very fortunate and rents are crazy! Airbnb would be a great idea; but I would settle on another storage cupboard to be honest lol. But, no I am just so happy to be able to stay. Safe travels xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your rent has not gone up too much. This small increase should keep you concentrated
    on future short term adventures. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ian. We are so happy it is just a small increase and like you say, I can still have some adventures!

    ReplyDelete