Sunday 24 January 2016

Where fact is fiction and TV's reality (Sunday, Bloody Sunday - U2)

Sunday, bloody Sunday.  One of the more well known U2 tracks.  This song comes from U2's 1983 album War.  I saw U2 for the first time that year (remember, I am still only 29!) at what was then the Hammersmith Odeon a very small venue.  Oh to see them again in such a place!  It is a political song about the Bloody Sunday incident that took place during the troubles in Derry. I have always been taken by the line 'where fact is fiction and TV's reality' and I guess that is just as true today as it was back then in the 80's. I have not used the official video for this track as when I was looking I come across this version, which I thought was rather special. As always, enjoy!



Saturday:  As many of you know, I am fortunate enough to live in Central London and many of you would know where I live because it is on a well known road.  Also in my neighbourhood there is a famous roundabout which, like a great deal of London, is being developed.  Only I could live near a roundabout that currently has traffic going round it both to the left and to the right!  It really is quite crazy when you look the traffic going round the roundabout the wrong way!  Welcome to London.

I forgot to mention yesterday I had to suppress a giggle in the waiting room of the chiropodist.  There were other rooms with other therapies going on and apart from me in the waiting room, there were three guys:  one with a lovely beard, one with a man bun and the other with his bag of artisan chocolates ...... only in London.

Quiet day, bit of housework, plenty of paperwork (sigh, but oh so necessary) then washed and dressed and out on the town. Tonight I was on the bus going up to Clerkenwell and Farringdon.  This was to join my Meet Up group where we go to different pubs in different areas.  The first pub this evening was the Three Kings.  The majority of the group drink beer; I drink gin.  Tonight I was in for a treat as this pub was having a Ginuary for January.  They had a huge selection of different gins and I went for one that was infused with olives and rosemary and it was really lovely.  However, towards the end of it I was beginning to think pizza

We went to two other pubs after this one and I spent the evening chatting to Marta who helps run the group with her partner Jamie and she is originally from Finland. Also in our little group was a woman from France, a guy from Greece and another guy from Germany.  This is what I adore about London.  It is so diverse and you can travel around the world without leaving the pub.  In the final pub I had my favourite gin which is Barthtub Gin.  I knew this would be my last drink of the evening, so make it a good one.  

I said my goodbyes and made my way to the bus stop, walking past Smithfield Market en route.  Smithfield Meat Market is an impressive Victorian building and there has been a market trading on this site since medieval times.  The market is open daily from 2.00am Monday to Friday.  However, like many old buildings, Smithfield Market has been under threat for many years.  It is a shame really as even as a vegetarian, the architecture is stunning and the whole area has so much heritage and history.  During the reign of Mary Tudor, over 200 people were burnt to death on this site!  The market itself, covers over ten acres of which six and a half acres are covered by buildings.  You can see how this is a prime location for development.  I really hope this does not happen; yet it seems to be happening everywhere in London.

Sunday:  Today was the story of the three Ts.  Trews, Twinings and Tin Tin. Up and out on my bus to the Trew Era Cafe for medication and peace.  I have
decided to sit in a different place each week for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, we are creatures of habit and just sit where we always sit; secondly, by sitting somewhere else you get a different perspective.  Wonderful meditation then time for brunch. Today I was spoilt as I had a delicious vegan chilli, which promptly set me up for the rest of the afternoon.  I had a plan for today, but like most days in London, it got slightly changed.

Caught the bus and got off in Fleet Street.  Many moons ago I used to work
here and someone at meditation group had reminded me of Twinings Tea and the fact they have a shop there.  So off I trotted.  I have acquired a taste for green tea the past few days so decided to go and treat myself to some.  This shop is amazing.  There are just rows and rows of tea and you can try any one you want.  You can still by your traditional tea in bags, but I was looking for some loose leaf tea - the proper stuff and I had certainly come to the right place.  There were just rows and rows of tea.  I went to the green tea section and made a choice of a couple and then they will make up a sample for you to taste.  I sat there sipping my tea, not having a clue what I was doing, but decided I would just go with what I liked.  I tried three different teas and they were all completely
different.  The woman who was serving me was so helpful and I felt quite comfortable there.  In the end I decided on Long Jing a Chinese tea from the Long Jing village in Hangzhou Zhejiang Province.  I will have to ask McBeal to show me how to pronounce it properly.  It is rather lovely and a bit of a treat. But if you think that every visit to Costa or Pret a Manger costs a couple of quid a go, it really is quite affordable.  And why shouldn't I treat myself?


So far we have had two Ts: Trew Era and Twinings and so for the third.  There was a film production filming a riot scene outside the Royal Courts of Justice, apparently for a programme called Peach.  I did have to smile as tourists were all taking photos of something being filmed.  I don't think they had a clue what was going on.

Next stop was Somerset House.  Ironically, I used to pass this every morning on my commute to work when I first left school.  Somerset House was once,
amongst other things, the home of public records but now is an arts and culture centre.  It is a fantastic neoclassical building, built around 1776. It has been the backdrop for many a movie and TV programme and in the winter there is a skating ring.

Today I was there to see an exhibition on Tin Tin!  Yes you did read that correctly.  The only downside to this master plan was the fact the place was full of children and pushchairs.  No don't get me wrong, I have done all that myself.  But I have found the older I get the more intolerant I get of other people's children.  I think it is because now I am living very much a single life.

I remember watching Tin Tin as a child.  The cartoon series always started with Herge's Adventures of Tin Tin.  We all thought he was French; he was from 
Belgium.  For those of you who do not know about Tin Tin here we go.  He was a cartoon character who had his faithful companion Snowy a fox terrier dog. Other characters included Captain Haddock, Profession Calculus and the Thomson Twins - and yes, this how the 80s band got their name! Unfortunately, the earlier published work have now been seen as racist and colonial. I remember watching the cartoon on TV as a child and enjoyed them as Tin Tin seemed to be all over the world having the greatest of adventures.  Love him or hate him you have to agree the characters are quite iconic.   

Here are a few photos from today's exhibition, which, just so you know, was free.  Who says London has to be expensive.

As always, with my love x

Snowy
















2 comments:

  1. Ah there's so much to do in London, isn't there? I'm not much of a beer fan these days either, although ideally I prefer cocktails.
    Somerset house has some great free stuff on. I miss somerset house. And the south bank.
    Changing seats is very anarchic. I like to do it too but can't take all the hate that comes your way when someone finds you sitting in 'their' spot.
    And I've been to the hill where your tea comes from. It rained. It rains a lot in Hangzhou.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yes London is fab. There is so much going on it is hard to fit it all in - especially when you only have the weekend. The Southbank is still my favourite place. I just like the vibe of it there. I am so impressed you have been to the hill where my tea was grown in China! How cool are you lol. Well impressed. As always, with my love x

      Delete