Saturday 17 December 2016

Greta Garbo, and Monroe Deitrich and DiMaggio Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean On the cover of a magazine Grace Kelly; Harlow, Jean Picture of a beauty queen Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire Ginger Rodgers, dance on air They had style, they had grace Rita Hayworth gave good face Lauren, Katherine, Lana too Bette Davis, we love you Ladies with an attitude Fellows that were in the mood Don't just stand there, let's get to it Strike a pose, there's nothing to it (Vogue - Madonna)

This song holds fond, fond memories for me.  Firstly, I can remember dancing to it in a night club in Gillingham with the Girlie Glees but more importantly I can see me now singing it to my Meg in our first home. She said 'Mummy, mummy you know all the words!' of course I do; and still do.  Andy and I were singing it this weekend, and striking the pose.  So now it is your turn ...... strike a pose and as always, enjoy!



Monday:  Life is very busy this week and today is Thursday.  But let's go back to Monday.  Busy day.  Tonight I had to work late for a meeting and got home around 9.00pm. So tired but all good.  

Tuesday:  Our team's Christmas lunch today. It was wonderful.  We were in a staff meeting at The Oval cricket ground and it was not much of a meeting more of a reflection on the year and a laugh. We had a quiz and I did so well; people were amazed about how much rubbish I can store in my head.  We had a lovely lunch and some wine then all went to the pub ............ It also transpired that back in the early 80's I lived just up the road from one of my colleagues.  How weird is that? Well not really as many of you know this stuff happens around me all the time. 

So I drunk far to much Malbec and staggered up to Vauxhall station with a colleague, got on the bus and kept giggling. Off the bus into the chip shop downstairs, back to my girlie glee days that is, you have to have your chips. Andy had his team's meal this evening and come home to find all my post just thrown on the floor on the landing, me in bed, door open and tv on. He walked into my room and I instantly woke up so funny.  All in all a really good evening and I feel so lucky to be working with such lovely people.  What a difference a year makes.

Wednesday:  I did not feel the love this morning. I had to be on a bus to Lewisham Hospital for an event at 7.00am! Yes you did read that right. I did not feel well.  Warm bus, stopping and starting, full of smelly people. I so needed carbs.  Managed to grab an egg may sandwich which kind of helped the little battle going on in my stomach.  However, I did struggle with the coffee but by 11.00am I was back to my usual self.  Good day and well worth the effort of going.

Tonight The Shard has provided once again.  This year the lights are amazing. They change from silver to gold and then pulsate and even turn into a glitter ball with beams of light coming out of the top. Amazing! Obviously, this has been arranged just for me again to celebrate the fact that I am in London. Why would I need a Christmas tree when I have this wonderful light show every evening.  I went to bed tonight with my curtains open just looking at The Shard thinking how lucky I am and how resilient I am.

Thursday:  The week is marching on and my liver is trying to keep up.  Meeting in the office this morning so I set off early to clear a 1001 emails. Lunch with a colleague which was really lovely and gave us a good chance to have a lovely chat. Quick trip to Waitrose for a few Christmas treats for me and then bus home.  This afternoon I worked so hard get so much done.  Really rewarding. I really love working for this organisation.  Just love it.

A very much a restful night, thank goodness, it really has been a busy two weeks.

Friday:  Work done and dusted once again this evening I was out.  I walked up to Borough Market and met my friend Ian who lives in Cheshire. Once again, he was in town.  London, this evening, was heaving!  The world and it's wife were out and I do not think I have ever seen the pubs so busy.  We walked along to Bermondsey Street and grabbed a drink and started to catch up with our news. We then went for dinner at The Garrison.  It was, like everywhere else in town, really busy but the food was ok and least we could hear ourselves talk.

We then walked back towards London Bridge and went into the pub to have 'one for the road' or tube in Ian's case.  It was so funny as we got started talking to a bloke called Laurence who kind of made himself known.  He was OK, drunk, but OK. It amused Ian and like I said to him, welcome to my world.  This always happens to be, I always find someone to talk to.  We said our goodbyes and Ian went off on the tube and and I walked home.  It was a lovely evening.

As always, with my love x


4 comments:

  1. Haha, I sang this to myself as soon as I saw the first couple of words!! Good times with the Girly Glees eh my friend!!
    Glad that you are getting so much enjoyment from your job Karen, it's a pleasure to read about your meetings and get togethers - I love it :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vogue eh? Reminds me of a thousand aerobics classes. That and 'thorn in my side' somewhat bizarrely. I spent way too much of the 80s/90s at aerobics, that's why my knees are knackered now.
    Sounds like you're having a good time anyway. Lots of parties. I do enjoy reading about London life, even though it's such a distant memory to me now :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jackie Yes I remember us all voguing it up in Gillingham. Lovely memories and I just love this song. So pleased you like reading my madness. I do wonder a at times why people do lol. Love and hugs to you both and remember ........... strike a pose xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sarah lol so this is why you have bad knees, lol love it. Yes London life must seem so remote to you now. However, I do still have to pinch myself that I am here and Christmas is rather special at Christmas. Saying that, I would rather be where you are lol. Hugs and love xxx

    ReplyDelete