Sunday 18 September 2016

If you’re wondering why all the love that you long for eludes you and people are rude and cruel to you i’ll tell you why i’ll tell you why i’ll tell you why you just haven’t earned it yet, baby (You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby - Kirsty MacColl)

So OK, I think I blogged this song when I featured The Smiths, but I don't care, I like it!  Excellent words and as always, enjoy.





Monday:  Today is Christmas Day.  Well obviously it isn't but it is for me! Today I met my dear friend Jackie who is visiting England.  Jackie moved to Wellington, New Zealand two years ago after meeting Mal, her Kiwi partner.  I told myself I would not cry; I did.  It was so good to see her and to finally met Mal. I also met her son Patrick who I had not seen since he was 9 (he is now 32) and his lovely partner Sophie.  We went to Borough Market for coffee then Sophie and Patrick went off on their own and us three walked along the river; stopping for coffee and chats along the way.  Jackie and I talked about not knowing where we belong and I explained to her that she will feel off balance when she returns to NZ at the weekend as part of her wants to be here and the other part wants and needs to be there.  It really is a strange feeling.

We met up with Sophie and Patrick and the five of us went to China Town for a fantastic meal, which Mal insisted on paying for.  They both look so happy and relaxed together and I was happy to have finally met Mal.  I told him to look after Jackie for me because she means a great deal to me.  So it looks as if my trip to NZ will be next November.  We talked about where I could stop over en route and where we will go when I am in NZ.  Soon it was time to say our goodbyes and it was so emotional.  People come in my life, then go and obviously I know why they have to do this, but it doesn't get any easier.  So we cried and hugged and hugged and cried, but I guess that is what friends do and I was grateful that they had taken time out of their whistlestop trip to the UK to spend a day with me.

Tuesday:  So today I was at home all day and did not stop, in a good way.  In my last job I could hardly leave my desk to go to the toilet (I am not kidding) and I always felt as if I was pushing an elephant up the stairs.  In this job all is good.  This evening I went to my local theatre the Southwark Playhouse. I love this little theatre but have noticed on the last two occasions things have changed. Firstly, there has been a rather big increase on the price of a diet coke.  Now don’t get me wrong, I am not tight, far from it, but you notice these things. Secondly, once again, the theatre was only half full.  Previously, there was never a spare seat in the house.  I really hope this is not a reflection of things to come.
Tonight I went to see a play called The Greater Game by Michael Head based on the book ‘They Took The Lead’ by Stephen Jenkins.  It starred Nick Hancock.  It really was so strange to hear a Stoke accent again and it also reminded me that Nick Hancock actually delivered the eulogy of a dear friend who died far too young. All that aside the play was so moving.  The play tells the story of the men who swapped the football fields of London for the battle fields of the Somme in 1916.

East London football club Leyton Orient, then known as Clapton Orient, was the first team to sign up its players, staff and supporters to fight in the First World War. Can you imagine that happening now!  41 men volunteered in all.  Three of them never returned.  The play tells the story of love, friendship and loss and was absolutely brilliant.  It was so thought provoking and terribly moving.  This play is part of the Royal British Legion’s centenary commemorations of the Battle of the Somme and Sports Remembers campaign.  I guess it all just makes you think and be so thankful for those who gave so much for me to have the freedoms I enjoy today.


Wednesday:  In this modern age one of the things you do not want to wake up to when you have a busy morning ahead is no wifi.  That is exactly what happened this morning. So I had to decamp at the local Pret which was actually rather nice as there were plenty of things to distract me.  I worked there for about an hour and then made my way up to Paddington Station (again) to start my journey down to Bristol.  It will not be as tiring today as I am staying over this evening.



Banksy
Thursday:  I did not sleep well; it was too quiet. I am used to the constant stream of traffic outside of my bedroom window these days.  Worked in my hotel room until 11.30ish and then went to explore Bristol. Managed to find myself some Banksy and another artist who look very much like Banksy, but it is not. Walked, dragging my suitcase behind me, down to the docks.  I really liked it here and took some photos of the old cranes.  If only they could talk, what a story they would tell. Mooched around and then realised the time and thought I would get a bus back to the train station.  Big mistake.  I guess I am conditioned now I live in London where there are buses every minute (well almost).  In Bristol this does not happen. I waited and waited and waited and was getting quiet anxious about the time. In the end I grabbed a cab and made it (just for me) in time to catch the train back into town.

I was so pleased to be home and I just love my crazy, diverse, manic neighbourhood.  Andy had been working away too, so we were both tired. Chinese ordered and consumed and it was time for bed.

Friday:  There's nothing like your own bed is there? I slept and then was rudely awoken, like I am every morning, by the six o'clock traffic outside.  I was home. Working from home today which did not go to plan.  Why do IT send you urgent updates but don't tell you that they will take all day to install? And then when it finally does, it does not work! Grrrr.

As it is London Fashion Week I had a fashion show for Andy as I am out tomorrow night. But more about that later in case it doesn't happen.  Also, I am keeping the fabulous red shoes I bought last week.  I love them!

Quiet evening as I should be having a busy, busy weekend ....... we shall see. I shall leave you with some more photos of my trip to Bristol.

As always, with my love x






2 comments:

  1. Bristol is supposed to be so hip and trendy now, isn't it? It has the university that is supposed to be one of the best. I've seen pictures before of all the street art. I'd like to go and see it for myself but travelling in UK is so expensive that I only go places if I have a definite reason to go.
    Great that you managed to catch up with your friend and you have a trip to look forward to, although I find it hard to start thinking about a holiday that's more than a year away. Goodbyes are hard. I get really upset and find myself wondering if I'm ever going to see some people again in my lifetime. Ah, I'm sure you know that feeling.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah. Yes, I really liked Bristol (what I saw of it) and there are plenty of arty places to hang out. You are so right about travel in the UK being so expensive though. Accommodation is always a price so as you know, I am like you I would rather get on a plane and explore. Jackie and I had a lovely day but it went far too quickly. At least I will see her all being well next year. I hate goodbyes and like you I always think I will never see people again. It is a horrible feeling. Hugs and love xxx

    ReplyDelete