Sunday 18 September 2016

Thank you for the days, Those endless days, those sacred days you gave me. I'm thinking of the days, I won't forget a single day, believe me. I bless the light, I bless the light that lights on you believe me. And though you're gone, You're with me every single day, believe me (Days - Kirsty MacColl)

Originally sang by the Kinks, I do like this version though.  Again, the lyrics, for me, sum up so much. It is such a happy song, tinged with sadness which I guess sums up life.  As always, enjoy!



Monday:  So I had a moment today and quite out of the blue purchased a ticket to go and see Sunny Afternoon; a musical about The Kinks nonetheless. I had seen it advertised on numerous occasions and thought that it may be OK. Basically, it is a play about the life of Ray Davies and the story of The Kinks but based around their songs.  The ticket cost the grand sum of £15. I had a voucher for Pizza Express, so my dinner cost me £5.  Who said living in London has to be expensive.

When I arrived at the theatre I was shown my seat which was, literally a seat, a wooden chair, screwed the ground with a table in front of me.  I could touch the stage. It was not looking good when the offered you earplugs as it was going to be load. I told myself that I had seen ACDC enough times so could put up with this.  However, what I could not put up with was the southern drawl Americans sitting next to me on my cabaret table.  I thought that I would give it to he interval and if it was too much, leave.  It was brilliant. So, so good. The cast were so energetic and the lead actor looked so much like Ray Davies. I really enjoyed it.  They played all of the classic Kinks hits and I could really see where Oasis and especially Blur, got their inspiration from. Ironically, they also sang Days so I thought it would be rude not to include their version in this blog. Then two more of my favourites: Waterloo Sunset and Lola.  At the end everyone, including me, were on their feet, singing and dancing.  It really was a great show.

I decided on the way home that I needed to see my Waterloo Sunset, albeit dark.  I caught the bus and got off at Waterloo Bridge and walked across.  It is a reflective week this week and I stood for quite a while watching the river and looking at London in all her glory and got quite emotional thinking what my life was and where I am now.  It was such a warm, lovely evening and I really did not want to go home but reluctantly waited on Waterloo Bridge for the bus and then home.  I think November will be the songs of The Kinks!






Tuesday:  London is so warm today, 31 degrees. So what did I do all day? Used public transport.  Joy, oh joy.  Trip up to Hampstead this morning then back down to Charing Cross and on a train to the suburbs.  To say it was warm would be an understatement and I was dressed as if I was on holiday and my hair was tied up.  I will not complain, it can stay like this for me but I have learnt today that travelling on public transport from one end of the City to the other in a day, in the heat is not good.

Back home and showered and then a lovely meditation and Reiki session to finish off the day.  Andy is in the kitchen making me a Reese's Birthday Cake. He assures me it has no calories whatsoever. However, considering the ingredients are butter, chocolate, icing sugar and peanut butter I really do not believe him.  He knows what I like and a peanut butter birthday cake hits the nail right on the head.

Wednesday:  So it is here again, my birthday.  I am grateful for still being here and I have lost many people on the way who would love to be seeing yet another birthday.  I received some beautiful cards, had numerous Facebook postings, text messages and phone calls and to be honest, I felt quite overwhelmed and emotional about it all.  So much love.  I had intended to give myself a quieter day; it did not happen.
I eventually left the flat at 4.30 and made my way up to Kensington on the bus.  London has been absolutely boiling today, the sun was shining and all was well.  Grabbed a coffee and waited for Andy to arrive and then we went off for dinner.  We had booked to go to Scoff and Banter in Kensington. We had a lovely meal and a glass of proseco.  We had a voucher we brought from Time Out.  We do this quite a bit as we get to go to lovely restaurants for a reasonable price.  Stuffed and contented we made our way home.
So in my typical birthday tradition, here are 56 (one for every one of my 29 years – you do the maths) things I have learnt this year.  Enjoy.


1.       People ALWAYS come back.  Therefore, Meg will one day too.
2.       Most American men are circumcised.
3.       Guile means horny in German ..... yes this is true!
4.       In Germany everyone has to be naked. I wished I had known this fact before I went to Berlin.
5.       Freddie was right.  Barcelona is such a beautiful horizon.
6.       Rush hour in Berlin consists of 3 cars.
7.       My odd of pulling someone gorgeous are better than Leicester winning the league!  Go me.
8.       You need to walk away from shit you just don’t need.  Just like I did when I resigned without having another job.  The best thing I ever could have done.
9.       The Eurostar is fab.
10.   Even men on Jewish Tinder are not interested in me considering I am aware of fact 2. Of this list ;)
11.   It is absolutely fine to book a trip at midnight and go the next day and starting the journey with a champagne breakfast will now become the norm.
12.   If in doubt, just hit it with a hammer.
13.   A rent increase (in my case thank goodness) equates to same as buying a lunch in Pret.
14.   I am now fully educated in the intimacies of a gay men’s sauna.  Yes, I have been inside one!
15.   The ‘Barbie’ museum will always make me laugh.
16.   You are NEVER too old to rave!
17.   Glucosamine is the best drug ever.
18.   Japanese food is one of the best Sunday dinners.
19.   I never want to hear Kylie’s version of Wheels on Fire ever again.
20.   I can walk into an Irish bar, in Barcelona and sit with a bunch of England fans, with my bucket of bear and watch England lose again.
21.   David Bowie is going to be so missed.
22.   I can go from drinking out of a bottle of Peroni on a date to drinking a bottle of a very nice and expensive Sauvignon Blanc on a date.
23.   That men can wear ‘jewellery’ in the most unconventional places ;)
24.   I really, really need some kinky boots in my life.
25.   Sophie got married and I never met her but drunk her Prosecco and she could not afford our bar bill.  The best date ever with Dave.
26.   After four pints of lager ALL communication devices should be removed from me.
27.   I should not drink lager.
28.   Everywhere beyond Zone 2 is suburbia.  That place is a different country and they do things differently there.
29.   Can buy vegan wine.
30.   A wedding with a free bar is a recipe for disaster and a test of a good friendship ..... Andrew Murphy!
31.   There is no time limit on having a good time especially when you are on the perfect 36 hour date (see 25 above),
32.   The Royal Albert Hall is amazing.
33.   It is so funny how Jo Malone bags just have a habit of throwing themselves at me.
34.   Never too old to ride a bike.
35.   I am pretty good at what I do and now realise this as it has got me my fantastic job.
36.   Sometimes you just have to walk away without saying goodbye.
37.   I have made some wonderful new friends.
38.   This year’s number is 36.  You work it out!
39.   I am still shit at maths even though I have learnt BODMAS oh and some of the planets.
40.   University Challenge is great as I look at some of the contestants and realise I will get a date.
41.   I still can’t use chop sticks.
42.   Florida is the only state in America.
43.   I have popped my Nando’s cherry and it wasn’t too bad.
44.   I may as well continue to lie about my age as no one believes me anyway.
45.   There are still so many interesting, creative and unique people I need to meet in London.
46.   There is still not thing as a coincidence.
47.   I will never be constrained by the social construction of my birth certificate and will always challenge the social norms related to my age!
48.   I would like a kitchen sink with a mini bowl or two bowls in it (used to have one in a past life).
49.   There is no coincidence that the latest Bridge Jones’ film in years was released in my birthday week.
50.   There is always something happening somewhere.
51.   We are all so fragile and most of the stuff we go on about is just shit – none of it matters.  There is no plan.
52.   I still do not know the difference between Ollie Murs and Bruno Mars – Fabio I hope you are reading this.
53.   You are never too old to do something that absolutely terrifies you.
54.   Reece’s make ice cream – but only in the states and it is the food  of the devil.
55.   My dear friend, who has always reflected my life so well, is back. I have missed you Bridget.
56.   I have a beautiful aura – this was one of the most loveliest things anyone has ever said to me.  Shame they were drunk at the time!

Thursday:  So a quiet day toady, which was welcomed after the events of the few days.

As always, with my love x

2 comments:

  1. No eating and seeing shows in London doesn't have to be expensive, it's the rent and the train fares that push the cost of living up. I like the kinks but that show has never really appealed to me. But there is so much to do in London that you never get round to it. If you live in a small place with just one theater then you would have gone to see it years ago, because that's all there is.
    So much on that list. It is always good to do that sort of thing, because it shows that you have done a lot, even when you are a bit down and thinking that your life is dull and you never do anything. I used to do a 'things I have learned this month' thing, and I might bring it back.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah. You are right. If my rent was half I would be rich! But alas, that is not going to happen. There is so much choice and I have X amount each month to spend and I try to spend it wisely, which means missing out on so much stuff but also enjoying what I do spend my money on. Yep, life is not dull, even on the dullest days. There is always somewhere to go and see. Yes, bring back you what have I learnt this week! I like my annual review it puts things in perspective. xxx

    ReplyDelete