Sunday 18 September 2016

In these shoes? I don't think so! (In these shoes- Kirsty MacColl)

Not one of the most well known Kirsty MacColl songs but one of my favourites and also I am a woman who likes shoes. As always, enjoy.


Friday:  So the birthday celebrations continued this evening as Andy and I went to see Bridge Jones' Baby.  I have waited 12 years for this and I guess it is no coincidence that it was released the same week as my birthday.  I could not believe my eyes as once again, my life was being portrayed on the 'silver screen'.  Scene after scene after scene had similarities to my little life. So spoiler alert. Listed below are some of the similarities between Bridget Jones (again) and me (again). We went to our favourite cinema now Picturehouse Central, we just love it there and they are doing a special viewing of this film that is dog friendly.  I think it so the gays can take their little pug dogs in with them when they see the film ...... bless.

So the film opens with Bridget celebrating her birthday.  It has been my birthday this week.  She starts singing 'All By Myself' again and then says 'fuck this' and starts dancing around to The House of Pain.  I blogged this song last August ........... of course I did.


  • Bridget says 'thank God for the gays' I am ALWAYS saying this, word for word.  If I did not know any different, I would say they have heard me say this and used it!
  • All Bridget's friends are settled down with partners and children and there is me and Bridget, still single and me living a ten minute walk from her flat.
  • Bridget has a cool job and works with some great people!  So do I.
  • Bridget takes herself of to a festival and has a rave.  So do I.
  • Bridget gets to meet famous people; so do I.
  • Bridget was told that she needed a good 'shag' ...... well so do I.
  • The main male characters in Bridget's life are a. Posh Totty and b. An American .......... sigh.... yes same here (well have been recently)
  • Bridget has nothing in her fridge; nor do I these days either.
  • Bridget practises safe sex with vegan condoms lol.  You fill in the gaps.
  • Like Bridget, I am a SPILF .... A spinster I'd like to .......
  • All the men I date seem to have amazing jobs, so recently we have had: a children's author and illustrator (well not happened yet but is suppose to be this week ..... we shall see), artists, camera men working on popular TV programmes, famous chefs.
  • Bridget's flat is STILL next to my local market.
  • There is a scene where Bridget is talking to her friend (in my case when I speak to Jackie) and they are talking about finger puppets and no string puppets.  This was just like our conversations, the ones we have so the kids can't understand.
  • Like Bridget I am the one who attends events on her own: the token spinster.
  • Bridget left an awful job without having another one lined up and then thought 'shit what have I done now'.  Yep.  I did that too.
There is a line in a U2 song that is: Where fact is fiction and TV reality.  I think I will leave that there!

Saturday:  Up at stupid o'clock and on the 7.30 train from Paddington to Bristol for work.  I was observing some training today and it was good to get out of the city and the training was interesting too. However, it was a long day and I did not get back to the flat until 20:00 and I was exhausted.  I like Bristol, the feel of it, well what I saw of it but I have been there before. Andy had cooked tea and I ate that and then went to bed.  I was so tired.

Sunday:  Never woke up so no Trews.  But I did not feel well either.  Not a good start to the day.  I had to go up the West End to take some shoes back and to collect some new work trousers.  To be honest, I could have done with out it.  But I went.  Ended up buying two new pairs of shoes: one pair sensible; the others because I loved them (they are red suede pointed things).

Got back to the flat and says relaxed all afternoon on my bed as I really did not feel well.  Managed to have some eggs on toast but still felt meh.  It will pass.  It has been a great few days.  

2 comments:

  1. You know, I never really got the whole Bridget Jones thing (I pause here for a gasp, a bit like when you told your ex-coleagues you'd never been to Nandos). Always seemed to me like a woman who had everything going for her, yet saw her whole life as a failure simply because she didn't have a bf. And that whole thing about constantly seeing herself as fat, when she weighed less than 60 kilos was just annoying.
    But I'd probably go and see the movie if it were on somewhere still, just so I can say 'oh I really don't get it'.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah. You have said before you do not get the whole Bridget thing. This one was more up to date and Bridget did not need a bloke (so much). I did smile at the Nando's reference lol. In this one she is not fat, overweight which I found a bit disappointing as the older you get the harder it is to actually lose weight. Go and see it, I am going again as I thought it was ace. Hugs and love xxxx

    ReplyDelete