Saturday 10 September 2016

Why should it matter to us if they don't approve, we should just take our chances while we've got nothing to lose (They Don't Know - Kirsty MacColl)

The good thing about having a featured artist each week is you can then look back over their back catalogue and reconnect with songs that you have not heard for years.  I had totally forgotten Kirsty had done this one (Tracey Ullman did a remake). It just makes me want to sing along.  As always, enjoy!




Monday:  It is here again. Where are the weeks going.  Working form home today so I also made some sourdough bread.  It made me move away from the laptop every now and then to do something with it.  The problem working from home is, you do not move around so much and also you spend so much time at the laptop.  This is not always good.  Anyway, the bread turned out ok. I was chatting on the phone and almost forgot it, but fortunately all was well and even if I say so myself, it really was tasty.

For dinner we had some bits and pieces to go with the bread: olives, sun dried tomatoes, an avocado dip thing I made and other things.  A hipster's dinner. It really was tasty and made a change, especially for a Monday evening.

Tuesday:  London is very grey and humid today; awful.  This has resulted in my having a headache for most of the afternoon, which is not good.  After work I made my way up to Pimlico for my meditation group and this actually helped to relieve the headache thank goodness.  Back home and that was that really.  Not a bad day;nothing exciting, but good all the same.

Wednesday:  Facebook is a wash with back to school photos today.  I remember every year, come rain or shine, I would take a photo of Meg proudly in her new school uniform, with new shoes and bag as she was all ready to embrace another year.  Oh those memories.

Working from home today and once again London is grey and humid.  However, I ventured out lunchtime to get some not so fresh air and to take the DVDs back to the library and grab a coffee.  London has been almost tropical today and by the time I got back to the flat, I was ready for another shower.  Quite night watching GBBO (Great British Bake Off) which has turned into our new University Challenge with a twist as we are just giggling at the comments made.  Such gems as 'you have a think handle' 'Oh when you get inside, it is all soft'.  I shall park those comments there.

Thursday:  Well last night I thought I was back in Bangkok. In fact, Bangkok would have been cooler.  Working from home again this morning and got so much done by 8.30! Go me.  Later on in the day I took myself off to my lovely coffee shop in Bermonsey and sat reading my book for an hour, taking in the sunshine and counting my blessings.

After work I took myself down to the South Bank, by the Tate Modern.  The extension to the gallery is now finished and I rather like it. I like the way the light fulls on it and kind of changes the shape of the structure.  However, the reason why I went down there was to see a new art installation by a Korean artist called Ik-Joong Kang and it is made up of hundreds of drawings from Korean people who had to flee from the North after the Korean war. Their pictures paint a story of what they have left behind as many of them now are in their 80s.  If you take a look at the following link, it will give you more details:


On top of the cube is a statue that is holding a torch which beams a ray of light across the Thames.  I was really quite moved by this if I am honest.  It was simple but so wonderful.  I really liked it and stood watching it as the sun come down.  The tourists are reducing in numbers at the moment but I did notice a South Asian woman just standing there watching the cube bob up and down on the Thames, then when she left, she just gently bowed their head. So moving.

Friday:  Home all morning and then made my way into the suburbs.  Quite an emotional afternoon work wise, so on the way home I treated myself to a lovely bunch of yellow roses - just to brighten my mood. A plan that I was working on has not delivered.  I had put my name down to go to Spain to teach English for a week but I had left it too late and all the places had been taken.  Not to be put off and with five days annual leave to use up, I went on to Easy Jet's page and looked at all the places I have never been too.  So the top and bottom is I am going to Vienna in November to listen to some Mozart and eat cake!  I have booked an Airbnb, something I have never used before but my friend Sarah uses all the time.  

The irony of it is that the fight cost less than a ticket on the train to Stoke (not that I want to go back to Stoke) and the accommodation for three nights was the equivalent to one night in a hotel. I have E150 left from Barcelona so all in all, it will be a reasonably priced trip. Let's face it, I cannot have wasted annual leave can it.

As always, with my love x



1 comment:

  1. yeah those tickets are ridiculously cheap, particularly in November. Airbnb is cool; never had a bad one (well a couple of times but really not that bad). I've still got no idea where I'm going after this, though probably spain because I have no imagination.
    Ah I miss London and all the cool art. Don't miss the wet weather though, that's the problem.
    xx

    ReplyDelete