Friday 25 March 2016

There's a place in the sun for anyone who has the will to chase one and I think I have found mine. Yes, I do believe I have found mine (Let Me Kiss You - Morrissey)

So this week I am using the lyrics of a song by Morrissey.  Love him (I do and Marmite) or hate him you can't beat a good song.  I love how he sings this song so gentle and the lyrics are so moving.  As always, enjoy!



Monday: Today would have been my dear old Dad's 82 birthday. He died a year older than I am now. That scares me when I think all that he missed and how he was at my age.  I always have flowers for my Dad in the flat. In fact, I have always done this since he died. No matter how difficult money may be, I always find some to buy him some flowers.  He normally has yellow roses or white lillies and today will be no different.  The only problem is, living where I do buying flowers is not always that easy. So after the most awful day at work (nothing to do with me but awful nonetheless) I made my way finally to Guy's Hospital and sat in my little pew in the chapel.  It gives me some comfort (and pain). I lit my candles and started my walk home.

Andy had known about the awful events at work and had a stiff gin and tonic waiting!  What more can a girl want? Well dinner was cooked too. So we just chilled whilst drinking our gin and reflecting on the day's events.  Tomorrow is another day.

Tuesday:  Awake before the alarm clock again. I have to admit, yesterday's events at work are playing on my mind and the extra work it has resulted in. I will be on it today and get it all sorted the best I can. I do not like things over my head, especially when it is not my stuff in the first place.  

Then the stark reality of 'real' life hits home.  Terrorist attacks in Belgium.  The place I visited four weeks ago.  It is so sickening to see places you sat and had coffee watching the world go by, now in total lock-down.  Awful.  It reminds me again how fragile we are and how, with a blink of an eye, so much can change.

After work this evening I was off to the theatre.  I met Andy, his work colleague Cathy and his friend Dan at The Ivy Market Grill.  This was my choice of restaurant and even if I say so myself, the girl did good.  All four of us had a scrumptious dinner and I will definitely go back and eat here again. Then we made our way down to the Strand as tonight we were going to see Kinky Boots. We have been waiting a long time to see this and trust me, all four of us were not disappointed.
Kinky Boots is based on the film with the same name that was based on a true story of  Northampton shoe manufacture who was facing closure. However, they found a niche in the market making boots for women who are men dressed like women!  It was a really good show and the music was co-written by Cyndi Lauper.  The actor who played Lola had the most amazing voice and could certainly dance; such energy.  I can thoroughly recommend this show for anyone who wants a fun night out at the theatre.

Wednesday: I have once again congratulated myself by not murdering anyone today.  Back home and I sorted out my monthly finances ......... sigh! Andy had not had a good day at the 9-5 either so it was just a quiet night in.  I did have some tentative travel plans for the weekend but I have just seen the weather forecast and of course it is not looking good, it is a Bank Holiday! 

Thursday: Awake at 5.00am! Really! I am still not feeling well. I am rarely ill and I am getting exhausted by all this now.  Thank goodness tomorrow is a Bank Holiday. All of my colleagues have booked at least one day's annual leave and I really wished I had done the same now. But I do not like wasting my leave and I do not like taking it when the place is full of children either.

After work drinks tonight with one of my Meet Up group.  It was fairly local but got the bus and wished I hadn't.  The traffic was horrendous.  In the end I got off the bus and walked.  Lovely evening (even though I felt absolutely awful) and they pub sold the beer I enjoyed in Belgium.  But I have to ask myself am I always going to be surrounded by gay men.

The guy behind the bar was lovely, so polite and gay! The second time I went up to get another drink he had remembered me and what I had drunk and said that I had a lovely smile. Well it is either that or that I am cool! But he was gay.  I could be going out for a brunch on Saturday with Andy and his friend; who are all gay.  Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not a homophobe, far from it, but I seem to be surrounded by gay men everywhere I look.  Even one of the guys I get on well with at work is Spanish and oh yes gay!  I was going to Brighton tomorrow but those of you who do not know it, Brighton is the gay seaside capital. Sigh!  I often thought my ex was gay. The signs were always there. Flowery shirts, music such as Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Kylie and Mikka.  I really hope the Universe is listening to this and will do something to restore the balance soon.  

As always, with my love x





6 comments:

  1. Bank holidays are always overrated. Everyone trying to get somewhere at the same time and everywhere packed solid. I walked to the market to get some lunch earlier and it was packed solid and everyone had a baby stroller blocking the way wherever you went. Better to have some time off when everyone else is back to normal.
    Brighton used to be a cool place to go, although last time I went it hit me how many homeless there were on the streets there. When you don't go somewhere for a while you suddenly notice things like that.
    Enjoy it anyway, whatever you end up doing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bank holidays and rubbish weather just go hand in hand don't they?! I'm sure you'll find something fun to do in London Town for your weekend...I'd be looking for a big bookshop, preferably with a coffee shop to hang out in! The weather here is no different to yours so we're heading off to a vegan fair in Stafford today....hoping not to bump in to frosty knickers!
    Sending lots of love to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah. I agree totally. I wish I could just work as normal and take these two days off when everyone else is back at work. Saying that, regardless of the weather it has been good not being at work. Unfortunately, Brighton was full of homeless people on the streets, really quite depressing to be honest but I guess it is the sign of the times. It is so expensive living in the UK and that is fact. Speak soon my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Fiona lovely to hear from you. The bookshop idea was a great one, but as you have seen I went to Brighton and fortunately the weather held up until the minute I got back home when the heavens opened lol. I heard there was a vegan fare in Stafford I hope you had fun and enjoyed yourselves. Brighton has so many vegetarian and vegan restaurants. I would like to try a couple of them next time I go, but the chips I had filled me up. Happy Easter to you and your beautiful little family xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it to the South coast. I will miss it but will be back South some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ian yes it all turned out really random- you will see in my next post. But next time I'll stay over the night in Brighton. I'm just happy I saw the sea after all these years xx

    ReplyDelete