Sunday 5 June 2016

I've been wandering round but I still come back to you. In rain or shine you've stood by me boy (girl) I'm happy at home (happy at home). You're my best friend (You're My Best Friend - Queen)



This track come from A Night At The Opera, the album introduced to me by ..... yes you have guessed it, Michael Kelly.  Lovely lyrics that sum up so much.  As always, enjoy.






Saturday:  I spent this morning, with Andy's wonderful IT skills, creating a PowerPoint presentation for my job interview on Tuesday.  I felt like a child at the dining room table doing their homework; but it has to be done. Then I went out to play.

Andy and I caught the bus and once again I was so excited as I got to drive the bus. Well, this means I got to sit upstairs on the bus at the front and pretending I was driving.  I was so excited about it, but once again Andy could not see the excitement. Anyway, I have attached some of the photos from our bus trip.

We arrived at St Paul's and the purpose of our little trip was for us to take part in a story, tourlike experience thing of around London.  We had to sync our phones and stick our headphones in and listen for instructions.  Me being me  was laughing, mainly at Andy's stupid face.  We set off and straight away disaster. My route was interrupted by the Tour de France or something similar. Andy had to come and rescue me, much to my amusement.  We wandered around the City listening to instructions and ended up down an alleyway the back of St Bart's Hospital, where much to my amusement lay an empty bottle of my favourite gin - Bathtub Gin.  How mad is that.  Another sign.  The whole experience was funny, bizarre, entertaining and different.  We eventually ended up roaming around the Barbican and I did have to wonder who you had to sleep with to get a flat there.  Very nice.

After all the excitement we were both hungry so went to Pizza Express and then caught the bus home. We then come across the Tour de France or whatever it was and I have to say I was somewhat distracted by the very firm calf muscles that were passing me by.  I did say to Andy that I was quite happy to remain there but he was having none of it.  So caught the bus back home.  By now I had the song 'A Lost Weekend in Amsterdam' going round and round in my head.  Andy said that he had never heard of it.  I really do have some serious concerns about his childhood and the music he never got to listen to.  I know why this song is going round and round as I could have been having a lost weekend in Amsterdam as I type this; but I am not.  I am having, compared to last weekend, a rather sedated and reserved weekend.  I wonder how Sophie is doing a week after her hen night!



So tonight I had a phone call that has confused me.  I will not go into too much detail but this person was going on about their patio, irrigation system and central locking on their car and I thought, this is no longer me.  Nice enough person but not me. So it raises the question again, what is me? Because I sure as hell don't have a clue what is me these days.  I did say to Andy can we go dancing tonight, please!!!! He said NO!  Oh it is such a difficult life being single in London.  So we compromised and ordered a take out and sat and watched a film - the end of which we did not see as both of us were falling asleep.  Just goes to show what a difference a week makes!

Sunday:  Wake before the alarm this morning. This is not a good thing on a Sunday. Today is supposed to be 26 degrees.  I hope so.  London has been so cold the past few days. I am not sure what I want to do today, so I have packed my bag with my book, Beatrix and a bottle of water as if it is going to be a beautiful day I do not intend rushing home from meditation. However, I have no idea where I want to be going either.

So Meditation was quiet; very quiet. It has a different feel about it lately and I know I am not the only one who thinks this.  After Meditation finished I walked down Hoxton Street to Shoreditch and past last Saturday evening's venues
and took some photos.  I do like it round there, so much to see and do. Last week when I was looking on Google Maps to see where the pub was where I was to meet Jason, I saw something on there that reminded me of my degree.  So today I went to investigate.  

I went to Arnold Circus.  I read about this as part of my Social Policy degree and I thought it was rather bizarre that here I was today, some six years later sitting in the gardens of this estate.  Arnold Circus was built in 1900 as part of the Boundary Estate.  It is ironic that the areas it backs onto; namely Shoreditch High Street and Bethnal Green Road, were at the start of the 20 century, some of the highly populated and slum areas of London.  A place
Arnold Circus
where many children did not see their fifth birthday.  The Boundary Estate and Arnold Circus was created as one of the earliest social housing schemes.  The estate itself consists of numerous tenement buildings that gave those at the time, a better standard of living.  The irony is that these flats now are worth goodness knows how much!


I then caught the bus to Hackney Wick to have a look around there and then walked through Victoria Park and sat and watched the skateboarders.  However, there were too many children around on scooters and bikes. I was annoyed about it so goodness knows how the skaters felt about it.  It is difficult when you want to take photos and there are children around as it can give the wrong impression.  So I sat in the sunshine, reading my book and making the most of the weather. I have added some of my photos to the end of the blog.

I then walked along to Roman Road and caught the bus to Liverpool Street Station, changed buses and went to the Southbank to have a look.  It was heaving.  Children again!!!!! Children at the skate park there too!!!! For goodness sake.  I need to find out where the big boys are skating these days. The Southbank is now in summer mode.  There is a beach and beer vans everywhere; the whole place was alive.  I sat by the river (not my favourite bench) and read my book.  I am currently reading Bill Bryson and he always makes me laugh.  It was so warm and lovely, just sitting there reading and watching the world go by - I really did not want to come home.  Also, I had no worries about what was waiting for me at work tomorrow either.  That is a huge weight off my mind; even though the thought of no income is a tad worrying but I know I will figure that out and wherever I end up, it has to be so much better than what I have put up with since September.

It has been a good day today for so many reasons.  The sun was shining and
that always helps.  It was strange to actually go to Arnold Circus after studying about that area. I just love walking around with Beatrix, taking photos. No one else, just me. Today I had my hair up (and off my face) and this is something I never would have done in the UK; this is holiday hair.  But do you know what? It did not matter, no one noticed, no one cared. I just love the freedom that London gives me to express myself. I reminded myself today why I do not need a patio or an irrigation system in my life these days! I must never lose sight of that.  I said to Jason last week that I do not want to be ever in a relationship again where I cannot be me; I like me now. Like he said there is no reason why anyone ever should be in such a relationship, but we all know it happens.  I know I keep saying it but if anyone had said to me five years ago that I would be in London, walking around taking photos, being creative, hair off my face, I would never have believed them.

I guess the final word goes to the audio discovery thing Andy and I did yesterday. When we had completed it and met up again at the Museum of London the final words we heard were: 'Everything is where it should be' and yes, I am where I should be.


As always, with my love x

Hipster Cafe I went for coffee this morning

Art at Shoreditch


Don't forget ... I am cool, damn cool, so cool, fucking cool, fucking damn cool ......

Ahhh ET my favourite - slightly different view point

Absolutely! Remember, I am only 29!

Victoria Park

Victoria Park





4 comments:

  1. Are you sure it wasn't the naked bike ride you came across?? Actually I think that's next weekend. How do I know these things, eh? All these miles/kilometres away yet I still keep track of this kind of stuff.
    You must have done social science. I vaguely remember something about those estates too. It's such an interesting part of the city.
    It's amazing how summer makes all the difference, isn't it?
    So are you still going to work or have you actually finished now?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naked bike ride ..... send me details! No, these had tiny lycra shorts on ;) Yes I got my degree in Social Policy and Sociology and you are right so much history round that area and now look at it - Hipster's Paradise. Crazy really. I now have four more working days left and a conference. I am counting down the days. As I left this evening one of them said 'oh shall we go out for a drink' I was very polite, I didn't have to be, but I said no thank you, I just want to go but thank you for asking. Anything, anything, will be better. Hugs and love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo this would never happen in Stoke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right Ian. It would never happen in Stoke 😏

    ReplyDelete