Saturday 2 July 2016

You can't turn back the clock, you can't turn back the tide Ain't that a shame? I'd like to go back one time on a roller coaster ride When life was just a game No use sitting and thinkin' on what you did When you can lay back and enjoy it through your kids Sometimes it seems like lately I just don't know Better sit back and go - with the flow (These Are The Days Of Our Lives - Queen)

There was only going to be one last song from Queen and this was it.  However, events took a different path as the seldom do for me and I shall be using yet another Queen song at the end of this blog.  But back to this one.  I love the lyrics of this song and would have it played at my funeral just so everyone cried! So moving and it was difficult to choose which lines to use. This was dear, sweet Freddie's last appearance and it is so painfully obvious how ill he was yet he can sing this song, with those words.  However, as always enjoy ........ of and feel free to cry!



Monday:  The good thing about a bucket list is the bucket never gets emptied. Today I was off to Barcelona.  I have always wanted to go here. I caught the train from London Bridge to Gatwick Airport or Gatport Airwick as the late Ray Moore presenter on BBC2 used to call it. Whizzed through check in and security and into the shop to get my perfume. The woman who served me told me I had a discount voucher for 22% that could also be used in Jo Malone - big, big mistake. Two minutes later in Jo Malone I was served by a lovely guy and I was a perfume and a candle better off and quite a bit of money worse off.  But hey, I saved 22% so almost got the candle for free ..... well that is my excuse.

At the gate I could not believe my bad luck as approximately 80 teenage girls were on my flight and were then sitting right behind me! I got talking to the young guy next to me who, along with two others, was off to Lloret de Mar for ten days and did not have a clue how to get there from Barcelona Airport. So there was I, just before the plane was taking off, Googling transport to Lloret for them.  Young people, I ask you, they do not have a clue.  

This was the first time I have flown with EasyJet and I was not disappointed; it was a good flight. I got talking to a woman who was on the flight for business and we had a good chat about travel.  This is the good thing about travelling alone, you always have someone to chat with.  Off the plane, through passport control and I was out in the sunshine purchasing my ticket for the transfer coach into the City which cost the princely sum of E10.80.  Arrived at the main square in Placa de Catalunya and could not find the right route to walk.  I did not want to get my phone out or a map as it makes it obvious that you are a tourist and lost.  Eventually, found where I needed to be and I was off.  I did have difficulty in finding my Guest House as it was not advertised and it appears that most places are not.  However, I was certainly not disappointed when I arrived.  A beautiful place, traditionally Spanish and beautiful oh and very reasonably priced.  

The guy (Francisco) who showed me around kept saying this was my home for the next few days so be happy and relaxed here.  I did not have the single room but the twin room and it was so clean.  I had a quick shower and unpacked and
was ready to get out and about exploring.  I walked out and have to say that some of the older Spanish guys are very appealing on the eye - oh and they have hair too!  I found somewhere to get some food and had some paella which was very tasty but then it was time to find a bar to watch the England football match.  Now I thought this would be easy; it was not.  Spain had just been beaten by Italy so no one was very happy and I walked around and around trying to find a bar to watch the match.  Time was creeping on but then I saw a guy in an England top and asked him and said they were going to an Irish Bar.

I arrived at the bar and had to pay e10 to get in but you had that back in food or drink. So a bucket of beer later I was already to be once again disappointed by England.  I was sitting with a young couple and gave him a couple of the beers as I slowly put an old ghost to rest by watching England lose whilst on holiday.  I did have to smile as there was one guy there from Iceland and I congratulated him at the end of the match on his country's win - they deserved it.  By now I was exhausted so found my way back to my new, beautiful little home.

Tuesday:  I called in the late night shop last night for a bottle of water and a bag of croissants.  So this morning I sat in the sunshine drinking coffee and having my breakfast at the Guest House. I decided that I was going to use the tourist bus.  I do not normally do this but I did not have a clue what I wanted to see and this seemed to be the best idea.  It was only a few more euros for the two day ticket so opted for that.

I sat upstairs on the bus and two women started to speak to me in Spanish. I guess they thought I was local as no man in tow or children.  I was absolutely amazed at the stunning architecture of the City and was not disappointed one little bit.  When it is warm I do not each much during the day and today was no exception but I did get rather thirsty.  Barcelona has some of the most beautiful buildings I think I have every seen.  However, I am bias as I do like art nouveau and the city is full of it; heavily influenced by Guadi.  

The queue to see the Cathedral was a four hour weight and I decided not to bother. So back on my little bus and off to Park Guell which is full of Gaudi's work.  There was a two hour wait but that was fine as I went to grab a salad and a drink and the time soon flew by.   The Park was out of this world. Such detail. I fell totally in love with his work and imagination.  This guy was so far before his time. Amazing. I really wished I had Beatrix (my camera) with me as I could have spent ages taking photos.  However, I did not do so bad with my iPhone.  I also wish I had my friend Sarah with me as she speaks Spanish and all I could perfect was 'one diet coke thank you'. Us British really are quite terrible with other languages.  

So back on Brendan's Coach Trip bus and once again saw Camp Neu the football ground.  It is absolutely massive and the headphones were telling me that it holds almost 100,000 people. Just think about that.  By now it was around 8.00pm and I was tired, thirsty and hungry as I had been out all day.  I had seen a rather nice looking restaurant earlier on so thought I would make my way back and eat there tonight.  I was not disappointed, the woman who served me was around my age and once she got over the shock (for her) of me being on my own we managed a little conversation in our broken English/Spanish.  I had not realised how hungry I was until my food come which consisted of some bread with salsa and mayo and then the most tasty paella.  I did smile because the restaurant displayed a sign that proudly said that all their food was fresh not frozen and you could actually tell as the seafood was so delicious and my mouth is watering again thinking about it.   

My peace and quiet was rudely taken away from me by a group of young people from Australia and America who had obviously all just met at the hostel they were staying at.  It got me thinking that everyone should travel as it really does open up your mind and gives you so many experiences. Back to my accommodation and my face resembled a tomato - bugger!  So smothered it in aloe vera gel.  As I could not take my usual bag because of the pick pockets I could not take my sun cream with me - fatal mistake and now I looked like a very angry tomato faced woman.  C'est la vie!

Wednesday:  Forehead not happy. It is my fault, I normally have a fringe so I guess this was fresh new skin. Fortunately, being a woman, I had some 'stuff' with me that covered it up a bit but I did think stuff it, I am never going to see these people again so let's just get on with it.  First stop today was at the Museu de Modernisme and I this was a good idea as it was inside and cool.  The Museum was wonderful and had some of the most beautiful furniture on display. I have always liked Art Nouveau and this place was like heaven for me.

I got back on my bus and then realised about ten minutes later that I was on the blue bus and needed to be on the red one grrrrr! An hour later (yes I know and after seeing the bloody football ground yet again) I changed bus and got off at Creu Coberta for some lunch.  I asked the woman what tabas really goes with each other as I did not have a clue and had some of the lovely tomato bread thing again and a huge dish of spicy prawns.  Delicious.  The restaurant itself was stunning and very traditional.  However, I enjoyed the warmth and sat outside eating.  There really is something so lovely about being able to eat outside and just watching the world go by.

Back on the bus (the right one) and got off at the Olympic Stadium and had a look around there.  I remember this from the 1992 Olympic Games and here I was look it all.  Back on the bus and off at Port Vell and walked up La Ramblas as I thought I should make the effort. Nope, I still did not like it. Far too touristy however my friend Lee had told me about a market just off La Ramblas that I should go and look at.  It is called Boqueria Market and I was not disappointed.  I do like a market.  The food on display was just a rainbow of colour. There were stalls of meat and fish and seafood and even thought it was quite busy it was a good experience to have a look around.  I found magosteens there (I fell in love with these whilst in the Far East) so I had to buy some.

Continued up La Ramblas and treated myself to a drink in Cafe Zurich (yes it made some people giggle) then back to my room where I lay on my bed and promptly fell asleep for two hours.  Up, washed, showered and out for my final evening in Barcelona.  It was lovely and warm and I just wandered around soaking up the atmosphere and architecture and loving the moment.  Yet another meal that was wonderful and then strolled back to my room, quite stuffed and content. Travelling on your own gives you time to think and I guess I really do not need anyone in my life to make it complete as I feel pretty blessed as it is; however, I guess it would be nice now and then to have someone around .......... but still not sure!

Thursday:  Quiet breakfast and then time to pack, which let's face it did not take long and then just sat back and relaxed for a bit.  Said my goodbyes to the guys at the guest house and walked to the airport bus.  It is funny how after a few days, you start to find your way around and the place feels like home.  I did have to smile as I was looking for the next video I am going to post as any trip to Barcelona would not be complete without using this video and the fact that I have been using Queen songs this month!  So there I was, on the bus to the airport, watching this video and as you watch it you will see the two towers at Placa de Espanya and there I was looking at them.  That was a moment.  So enjoy this extra treat.


Freddie was right, Barcelona is a beautiful city and I have always loved this song but do think that I love it a little bit more now.  Thank you Freddie.

Good flight home and I was soon on the train to London Bridge.  I did manage to pick up another new person on my journey.  I heard a guy ask which train was to London Bridge so he ended up travelling into town with me.  His name was Raphael from Toulouse in France and he was about 18 coming to London to work for two months to practise his English.  I told him to make the most of it as that is all going to stop (makes me so bloody angry). He was a lovey guy and his girlfriend is already hear working (again that won't be allowed under the new regime - heaven's forbid we can learn about other cultures and ways of life).  We had a good chat all the way into London Bridge and it was obvious other people on the train were listening to us.  We said our goodbyes with that French kissy thing they do (and I love) and I wished him a happy life and walked home to my flat.

So that was Barcelona done and dusted.  I really stunning city and I am so pleased that once again I just got on with it an created more memories.

As always, enjoy x 


4 comments:

  1. una coka lite, por favor?? There's many ways of saying it. No I'm suffering for lack of a common language here; it makes everything that bit harder.
    I love Barcelona; I went there for xmas about 3-4 years ago and it was warm(ish) and really sunny. Gaudi really was amazing.
    So I'm guessing you start your new job next week?
    I'm still optimistic there will be some solution to all this that doesn't leave us all completely isolated. I'm beyond angry with Boris though. He needs to come back and tidy up his mess, not disappear off in the hope that in a few years we will have forgotten and vote him back into power.
    Have a good weekend anyway. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola ...... look I am almost bilingual lol. Barcelona was ace and Gaudi is my new love of my life (well for now at least). Boris is playing the long game. They have all created a monster now that no one can control; so he sits and he waits and lets the other try to clean up the mess. Then once again, he will pounce. He is no idiot; he is very, very clever. Scary stuff. Yes I start work on Tuesday and I have been sent a lot of forms to complete one of which is free BUPA (well it is taxable like everything else) so I am very pleased with that. Hope you find some stability soon. Hugs and love xx Oh and let's Skype soon when or if you get some decent WiFi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write up of Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ian. I really did like Barcelona. I need to save up now for the next trip lol

    ReplyDelete